Monday, August 9, 2010

Inspire: “to breath one’s spirit into the world”

I showed up to the beach uninspired. My co-leader on the beach was not feeling it either. She asked me for help and that little act of connection woke up the purpose inside of me…service to others. By allowing me to help she woke up my inspiration and thus inspired me to offer my gifts to those gathered around us. The word inspire comes from the latin “inspirare” meaning “to breath into”, and it also holds the root of spirit. So,

Inspire: “to breath one’s spirit into the world”.

It occurred to me how much of the time I do feel inspired, and in turn I realized how much of my life is surrounded by sources of inspiration. So, my privilege to set the inspiraton of the day for the 120 people on the beach came from those very people. Eventually that led to a discussion about the people we surround ourselves with. Do they inspire us? Do they breathe life into our spirit by encouraging the expression of our higher self?
One of the most effective ways to influence change in one’s self is to change the crowd one hangs out with. Yesterday on the beach we had a crowd of 120 who got together to inspire the highest, noblest part of our youth and each other…and it’s always fun.
Rumi said:

Be with those who help your being.
Don't sit with indifferent people, whose breath
comes cold out of their mouths.
Not these visible forms, your work is deeper.
A chunk of dirt thrown in the air breaks to pieces.
If you don't try to fly,
and so break yourself apart,
you will be broken open by death,
when it's too late for all you could become.
Leaves get yellow. The tree puts out fresh roots
and makes them green.
Why are you so content with a love that turns you yellow?


Yours in spirit,
Tony

Tony LoRe
CEO/Founder, Youth Mentoring Connection/Urban Oasis
Founder, Boarding House Mentors


It's time for our annual campaign drive! Partner with us to mentor our youth from the threats of gang violence, drugs, and dropping out of school. Everyone who donates will be entered to win two tickets to our benefit concert with Jackson Browne in October.
YOUR DONATION WILL CHANGE LIVES! Donate here: Youth Mentoring Connection Annual Campaign



No comments: