Thursday, March 3, 2011

My First Marathon EVER!


Since September: “Friday nights” are nonexistent. I wake up on Saturdays at 5:30am (sometimes at 6:20, but don’t tell my pace group!). I’ve ran 20 miles, and relieved when I only need to run 7. I’m 10 pounds lighter, and slightly obsessed with running clothes.

I never thought I would run a marathon, but I couldn’t pass up the chance to help raise money for Youth Mentoring Connection, which is where I work and have met amazing people who I consider family. Now more than ever, YMC needs your help to continue running life-saving programs.

I've been a Program Coordinator at YMC for the last 3 years, and I’ve witnessed powerful transformations with the young people we serve all over Los Angeles. Shy kids come out of their shell. Young men learn how to channel their frustrations into something positive and realize they can have a bright future. With proper guidance and support, young women recognize they can overcome their circumstances and want more for their lives. Our mentees feel safe to let us see them for who they are and know that they will not be judged. At YMC, we create a community where mentees can be seen for the gifts they posses.

I understand times are tough, but I need your help to raise money so that my coworkers and I can continue to saves lives. No amount is too small or too large! If all you can donate is $5, I’d really appreciate it. If you have the opportunity to give more, like say $1 for every mile I run/walk, that would be great! And you know if you have an extra $100 lying around, you will have an extra special place in my heart!

I’m proud to say that 95% of our mentees graduate from high school and continue their education; our mentees come from the most disadvantaged schools in the country with graduation rates as low as 27%. With a statistic like that, you know we’re doing something right! Please help us out!

To donate, please visit my fundraising page:
www.active.com/donate/ymc/crystalcedillo

Or you can mail your check to:
1818 S. Western Ave. Suite 505
Los Angeles, CA 90006
(please specify that your check is for Crystal Cedillo, LA Marathon)

2 comments:

Patty Garcia said...

wooohoooo go crystal! This is a great thing your doing I wish you all the best and hope you raise lots and lots of money!

crystal said...

Thanks for you support Patty!