Wednesday, December 22, 2010

What if she doesn’t like Britney Spears?

I’m not going to lie, I was a little nervous when I first signed up to be a mentor. What if she thought I was lame?  I don’t have much contact with teenagers and I can be awkward, I admit it.  What if we didn’t have anything to talk about? WHAT IF SHE HATED BRITNEY SPEARS??!! (Disclosure: I’m a huge fan.) 

I’ve been Angie’s mentor for approximately a year now, and to this day, I’m amazed and absolutely delighted over how naturally our mentor-mentee relationship has blossomed.  Angie is really creative and we’re both interested in fashion and design.  I thought she’d enjoy learning how to make jewelry (which just so happens to be my favorite hobby), so I invited her to come with me to Santee Alley to pick out jewelry fixings, followed by a jewelry-making session at my place.  We must have spent hours lurking in the bead stores, wandering the aisles in search for the perfect beads and brainstorming design ideas together.  Finally, with our purchases and our Subway sandwiches in hand, we headed back to my place for a crash course in jewelry-making by yours truly. 

In the many hours that followed while we hung out making jewelry, our discussion ranged from designs and techniques to celebrity gossip and fashion to how she's doing in school, stories about our families and being the oldest daughters, and her goals in life.  Meanwhile, Angie took the basics I showed her and absolutely ran with it in the most fabulous way!  She ended up creating 1 gorgeous ring, 2 amazing necklaces, and 2 of the cutest bracelets (one was for her baby sister).

I had a blast, and when I got back from dropping Angie at home, my roommate told me that from her room, she could hear us chattering non-stop the entire time.  And so, I just wanted to thank YMC from the bottom of my heart for giving me the opportunity to meet and mentor the amazing Angie!

Oh, and ps: she’s ok with Britney.

-Nasya Lee

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I *love* this post! So happy you and Angie found each other :)