Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Number One Supporter

He was all ears, dimples and a mess of black curls. He couldn’t have been more than 10 years old, when he started peeking into my office. Shy but curious, he would just stand and stare trying to figure out who the short, loud lady was. I had to have him! I asked him if he wanted to be in our mentoring program, he nodded enthusiastically. There was no stopping him after that. He would bounce into my office, smelling like a wet puppy, and bursting with stories from his day. Always the first to arrive for our sessions and eager to help, I thanked him. "No worries, I am your number one supporter” he explained. After I picked myself off of the floor, I squeezed him until he turned a little purple. Wouldn’t you?

Edwin is 16 now, and just as magical. And this is him today:

I can be tagging a wall reppin’ my set,

But naw I’m skating

with my lucy

My sk8board, kicking and pushing

Past the gang bangers –

The drug dealers –

The tagged up walls –

The alters of the people who died from gang banging or some stupid shit

With my Lucy I’m passing all that

And going to those sexy ass stairs

Fuck all that shit

Skating is my drug

Me and skating is like a fat kid eating cake

Edwin Bonilla

2 comments:

Daisy said...

I love it! He is such an amazing person very sweet and destined for greatness!

MRCarter said...

Absolutely my favorite poem of the session!

THAT. IS. EDWIN.

perfect.